Wednesday 1 October 2014

Recognition


After yesterdays ducklings release, I was keen to see how they had survived their first night on the river, and was delighted to see them all together. What was even more of a surprise was the fact that after 2 months I believe their parents recognised them.

At one point today the ducklings were resting on the shingle and the parents came alongside in the river and spent quite some time observing them. The mother only had them a few days before the big flood in August, but I'm certain out of all the new ducks on the river she recognised them.

In the photos the parents are on the right in the water, and her daughter is sitting on the shingle - and she is her double !  I even think the daughter recognises her mother too ! As a lover of these remarkable birds, this is a real eye opener for me.

No comments: